The superintendent of Indianapolis Public Schools says he is backing out of plans to sue the state over a state takeover of six underperforming Indianapolis schools. IPS Superintendent Eugene White had earlier promised a lawsuit if the state Board of Education voted to take control of the schools. Now, White says IPS will not fund special programs or extracurricular activities at the six schools. He tells the Indianapolis Star that with the state moving in, he wants to stay out of the way. State schools superintendent Tony Bennet – who recommended the state intervene – says White’s decision is not in the best interest of the students. Meetings are being held this week in Indianapolis to refine turnaround plans for IPS schools in question, where representatives of the schools’ new operators will address questions from parents. Meanwhile, Bennett will deliver his annual State of Education speech tonight. Indiana Public Radio will make the speech available on our website and news blog beginning on Wednesday.
— Indiana Public Broadcasting contributed to this story.