Coroner finds methadone as cause of death for IU student who died at BSU

The Delaware County coroner says methadone use is the official cause of death for an Indiana University student who died in a Ball State University dormitory in September.  James Clevenger says methadone – and not alcohol – caused the death of 18-year-old Jarrod Polston of Greenwood.  Clevenger says Polston vomited while unconscious, which caused him to asphyxiate.  Polston was visiting friends in the Studebaker West dorm, when he passed out at about 3 A-M.  Friends in the room called emergency services when they couldn’t wake Polston the next morning. 

Clevenger’s tests indicate that Polston had a toxic level of methadone in his system.  He also tested positive for marijuana.  However, Clevenger found no alcohol in Polston’s blood.  Clevenger has ruled the death as “accidental.”  According to the Office of National Drug Control Policy, methadone is a drug used to treat opiod addiction in heroin and morphine addicts.  It is a controlled substance, requiring a prescription.  Ball State officials say they are awaiting a copy of the toxicology report and will review it.  Ball State police will add the results to their own report of the incident.

Advertisements

About iprsteph

IPR's "All Things Considered" host, reporter, and producer
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.